Special Hardship Order (SHO) Licences

Special Hardship licences only apply to Queensland. You may be eligible to make an SHO if;

  1. You accumulate too many demerit points OR/
  2. You are booked by the police for a high speed offence (Over 40 kilometers per hour over the limit).

In these circumstances you will receive a notice from Queensland Transport advising you of the date of the suspension of your driver’s licence. You will need to file the application in the Magistrates Court District in which you reside within 21 days AFTER the suspension of your driver’s licence. You are NOT eligible to apply for an SHO if, within the last 5 years;

  • You have previously made an application for an SHO;
  • Your licence has been suspended or cancelled or disqualified;
  • You were not licenced at the time of the incident;
  • You have been convicted of dangerous driving.

An SHO will permit you to drive a motor vehicle with the following conditions;

  • Purpose of driving;
  • Class of motor vehicle that may be driven;
  • Times in which you can drive;
  • That a copy of the order must be carried by you whilst driving.

In order to make an SHO you must attend to the following tasks;

  1. File the application in court;
  2. File your completed affidavit;
  3. File your employers affidavit (if you are not self-employed); and
  4. Serve a copy of the above material on Queensland Transport.

At the hearing of your application you must prove to the court;

  • That you are a fit and proper person to be the holder of a licence; AND
  • That a refusal to grant the order will cause either extreme financial hardship or severe and unusual hardship.

These applications can be tricky. If you make a mistake, your application could be refused. How much have you got riding on your driver’s licence? We can help you professionally prepare your application and represent you in court. Contact us today to arrange a consultation to discuss your matter.

Request free Consultation

Free initial consultation limited to 10 minute telephone advice.
Go to top