Domestic Violence Need a domestic violence lawyer?

Domestic Violence Orders

Have you been served with an application for a Domestic Violence Order? Do you wish to make an application for a Domestic Violence Order against someone else? Our experienced domestic violence lawyers can help you in either of these situations.

Are you the Victim of Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence is a common situation. Many behaviours can be domestic violence, including physical, emotional, or economic abuse. If you have experienced domestic violence in your relationship, you might be able to make an application for a Domestic Violence Order.

Our domestic violence lawyers can help you:

  • make your application,
  • prepare your affidavits,
  • legally advise you throughout the process,
  • and represent you in court.

It can be a difficult time. Having the support of a lawyer can reduce stress and uncertainty. Contact us now for a phone consultation.

Temporary Domestic Violence Orders

A temporary order is an order that has been put in place by a magistrate who has heard an application for a protection order and has deemed that a temporary order is necessary for the circumstances. The temporary DVO will come into effect once the respondent has been served with the order by a member of the Queensland Police Service if they weren't present in court when the order was made.

A temporary order can be changed which is one of the benefits of them being temporary. Whenever you are back in court, the order will be reconsidered to ensure that they keep up with changing circumstances in your matter. 

A temporary DVO can include any terms that would ordinarily be included in final protection order and can include prohibitions from approaching someone's home, their workplace, contacting them, or posting things on the internet amongst many other conditions.

If you have been served with a temporary protection order, immediately contact a solicitor and get legal advice as to what the terms mean because if you breach any term of the order, it is considered a criminal offence.

What Happens if I Have Been Served with an Order?

You must carefully read the order that has been served upon you, together with the supporting application. You may agree or disagree with the application, but you must make a very careful decision about what you do because it could affect you later on (particularly if there are Family Law proceedings in place or likely to commence).

Once you have been served with an order of the court, you must strictly comply with it. You will be notified of the date that your matter will be heard in court. If you fail to appear in court, then it is likely that an order will be made in your absence.

At court, you can agree to a final order (with or without making admissions), or you can contest the order. If you choose to agree, then it is likely that the court will make the order that day. If you contest the order, your matter will be adjourned to another day for the hearing of evidence. Here is some more information for DVO respondents.

We can represent you in court to protect your interests. If you work with Brooke Winter Solicitors, a domestic violence lawyer will help you to understand your options. Together, we will work towards the best possible outcome for your situation. We have offices on the Gold Coast, Brisbane and in Hobart, and can represent you throughout Queensland, New South Wales and Tasmania.

Contact us today to discuss your matter.

Domestic Violence Information:

How does the domestic violence court work?


1. What is domestic and family violence?


2. What is a Domestic Violence Order?


3. How to apply for a protection order


4. What happens in court?


5. What if I’m served?


6. Understanding the conditions on a Domestic Violence Order

Request free Consultation

Free initial consultation limited to 10 minute telephone advice.
Go to top